Monday, March 9, 2015

Music Video Analysis

For my music video analysis I will be analyzing a bizarre video I found on Youtube. The song is SOURCE by Fever the Ghost with animation by Felix Colgrave and can be viewed below. I choose to analyze this video not because I enjoying the song, but as a creative/artistic person I found the animation style very unique. So let's get started shall we?



Construction of Reality

It is quite clear well watching this music video it was not meant to be an accurate representation of reality. The characters are all very stylized, and cartoony and give off a psychedelic vibe. The yellow cloaked man (if it's even meant to be a man) is the only human in the video, which displays, living hills, an Oriental dragon, Aliens, and a disco dancing Sun and Moon. It can be easily assumed drugs inspired some of what is seen.

The video in itself is very unique however, and I found myself perplexed to see what would happen next. The obscure video matches the alternative music that is playing and unifies into a strange experience to say the least.


 Codes and Conventions

SOURCE's music video, like many in the alternative genre, displays plenty of nonsensical imagery. The lyrics of the song itself are highly representational or metaphoric and lacks a serious tone. If anything in this video is meant to be overly symbolic or make a statement it is lost through all the interesting turns the video takes.

Creeds and Values

No values are directly displayed in this video, however if one were to look deeper a message resembling "Friendship is important" can be seen. The connection of the yellow robbed man and dragon is prevalent as the sit and enjoy a meal together, while a secondary connection between the dancing aliens can be seen.

This video treats all groups equally (all the monsters are welcome to do as they want) feeling free to dance their lives away.

Commercial

I believe that the music video was a perfect match for the song. While it does not appeal to everyone, the people who enjoy this genre will enjoy the quirks of this video. I myself found that I have a great appreciation of the song due to the strange and creative atmosphere created by the music video.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment